Re: Is there a speed limit through trailable points?

Yuri J Sos wrote in message <372f352d.844252@news.enternet.com.au>...
>Yesterday, I was chasing R711 from Geelong to Ballarat and not faring
>very well north of Lal Lal due to a burst of speed by R711 (this is
>going to be one hairy beast to chase when it's in service <g!>).
>
>However, I beat it to Warrenheip bridge by 2 minutes having been
>beside it at Navigators (I didn't expect to see it before Ballarat).
>
>So, a question for any VLP/FV drivers: is there a speed limit for
>trains to pass through a loop with trailable points (ie Warrenheip,
>Sulky, Tourello, Talbot, etc.)?  I suppose you can't really barrel
>through a trailable loop at line speed, can you?
I seem to remember that you nosed the loco through at 25 kph, forcing the
automatic point machine to operate and then powered to track speed. If you
were on the straight with a fast Pass that would be 115 I guess.
At Riggs Creek loop on the NE the UP train takes the straight at Normal
Speed, and if his TO allows he will slow to 65 to break the up end points,
and immediately return to track speed.
A Down train will enter the loop at a diverging speed of 25kph, and return
to the single line at 25, after his train has fully arrived on the single
line he will return to track speed.
Hope this helps
Rod ;o)