Re: NG v SG

Barry Campbell wrote in message <3702CA05.B4CEF033@qimr.edu.au>...

>A standard is only a standard because everbody uses it. If all tracks
>were converted to 1067mm gauge in Australia, that would be standard for
>here because everybody uses it. There are no rail connections with
>anywhere else as we are on an island.
>
>Standard gauge is only called that because it is the standard in most of
>the English speaking world. BTW does anyone know what it is called in
>other languages?

I am aware that the "Standard Gauge" is a British concoction, used mostly,
as you say, in English speaking countries. But now that you could, if you
could negate the gauge difference, travel from the north of Scotland to
Singapore why not have a standard gauge. And if they ever get the port of
Darwin going with fast ferries to Asia, you could load rail carriages into
it at Darwin for transport across and then rail further inland from the
port.

Surely Australia understands the problems of not following or implementing a
standard. And since last time I looked, we all lived on one planet, a global
standard would be preferable to an island one.