Re: NG v SG

Roderick Smith wrote in message <01be79de$b806b320$132e11cb@rodsmith>...
>AFAIK only Qld used noncanted rail, and this was rectified about 15 years
>ago.
>
>Perhaps Australia would have been served better converting all lines to
>1067 mm gauge: a gauge which has served Africa well.

Doesn't this go against the whole idea of having a Standard Gauge? Standard
Gauge is Standard Gauge because that is the standard. Shouldn't countries
try to implement the standard.

A recent problem discussed in a thread somewhere was double stacking
containers on NG. Africa does not double stack, and I suppose that this
inability to improve is "serving Africa well"?

I can remember a proposal to build a new SG line in Queensland from some
place inland to Gladstone. The benefits were greater axle loads could be
catered for and increased track speeds for coal trains, and also the
beginning of SG in Queensland.

I believe that all track in Australia should be converted to SG (except any
tourist operations) so that the benefits of having a standard can be
realised.

Ben Staples