Re: VR line closing dates needed.

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <snip>
>
> John, many thanks for the info but now I am confused!
>
> If trains ran on this line for about 10 years how was it that it was never
> officially opened? The usual practice was that only construction lines ran on a
> line until the opening. I'm sure there was some sort of law that said you
> cannot carry goods on a line until it is opened.
>
> I'm sure all of the answers lie in a long forgotten copy of the ARHS digest!

I've just checked the list of lines in the ARHS Bulletin, and it says:
"Line was to be opened by VR 29 Feb 1932, but arrangements were cancelled. Line was
worked by Railway Construction Branch until 1943". 12 Feb 1943 is given as the
closing date.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers