Re: Preston station torched

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> [Snip]
>
> What is the historical basis for a lot of the station buildings around
> Melbourne?  There seem to be some fairly large buildings at some stations,
> but most seem locked and/or boarded up.  On my way to work in Camberwell,
> there's East Richmond, Burley, Hawthorn and Auburn (possibly Glenferrie but
> may be in use) which all have enclosures of some sort but seem only to be
> disused...what did these buildings used to be used for?  Did there used to
> be a stationmaster at every single stop?
> Or are these buildings still used?

Last time I pass through Glenferrie on my way home, it is in use and is one of
the premium stations in Melbourne.

Cheers,

I.C.

Iming Chan
Melbourne, Australia                       Email: chani@translib.com.au
Disclaimer:
This message only contains opinion of the author above.   It  does  not
express the views, policies or opinions of organisations represented by
the author.
   ** To reply, please remove 'X' at the end of my e-mail address **