Re: Signalling in Victoria

In article <7dsr6r$1k0$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,
  cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin GORDON) wrote:
> Ok, just a couple more questions about 2 position signalling.  The numbers on
> the signal posts are usually the lever number, and where there are many levers
> the first lever number is on the post.  Is this correct?  If so then in places
> like Sunbury the lever (switch) number has no relationship with the post
> number.

I don't believe this is the case.  The numbers on the signal masts bear no
relation to the numbers on the levers.

> Disc and dawf signals. Most sidings and wrong line moves have/had disc
> signals, if you have a colour light signal is it called a disc, or a two
> position dawf?

Pass - but the word is dwarf.

[ big snip ]

> Or like St Albans where you have a home signal, repeating, then a three
> position home.  I think the repeating signal is like a distant (but with a
> yellow marker).  Is that right?

Close enough.

> What colour are the arms on a semaphore repeating signal?  I know of only one
> semaphore repeating that was at Maldon Junction any I have no idea what colour
> the arms were.  The top arm was fixed at yellow, and the bottom yellow or
> green.

Yellow with black chevrons, same as a distant signal.  IIRC there were two at
Maldon Junction, one for each line.  The one from the Castlemaine direction
had a single arm, allowing Y/Y and G/Y indications, while that from the
Maldon direction had two arms, allowing Y/Y and Y/G indications.  I also
believe these

You sound like a candidate for the Signalling Record Society - and maybe a
visit to the State Library to read John Sinnat's "Clear Normal Speed".

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html