Epping to Somerton Transfer, 25-03-1999

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Colin Harvey wrote:

> This train through Clifton Hill at 0954 (25/3/99).  Six-car Comeng hauled
> by X-class (I think).

Yes, the transfer was run by X31 (class leader), in VLF livery.
I was pretty damn sure (and so too were most people I talked to
yesterday), that X classes were not allowed on the Epping line.
Can anyone tell me otherwise, or did someone "stuff up"?

The transfer collected 6 cars at Epping, passed Rushall 09:48am, ran via
Essendon to Broadmeadows (passed Oak Park stn 10:40am), shunted at
Somerton from 11:00am - 11:45am.  It picked up 6 more Comeng cars, all M's
without Green & Yellow stripes on the front. 537M was in this consist,
with it's 5 missing, reading 37M.
It then ran back to the city and out to Epping again, passing Rushall at
13:15 (about 50 mins late).  It "dumped" the spark cars at Epping, and ran
back to Dynon, departing Epping on-time!

Gareth.