Re: CityRail to Bathurst

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:47:53 GMT, alco@acay.com.au wrote:

>If CityRail want to run Endeavours or even 620 class railcars to Bathurst
>where would they come from? The answer is simple, nowhere. There are no spare
>sets. The 5th Newcastle set was "borrowed" last year to replace the set that
>collided with the freight train down south and has never returned. I think we
>are assuming that because the government announced an extension of the
>CityRail boundry to Bathurst there would be a train service. I don't believe
>so. There are numerous coaches that connect with electric trains at Lithgow
>every day and they all stop at Bathurst. No mention has been made by either
>political party about buying any extra trains in this election campaign.
>Cheers Bob

G'day.

Direct bus services operate vie the Great Western Highway and there is
no way the railway could compete with these owing to the rail's
roundabout route via Tarana.

If one did want to operate a rail service, I would assume that it
would be to provide a day return service for residents west of
Lithgow.   It would not extend beyond Bathurst, as Orange is not held
by Labour.  (Neither may Bsathurst after today!!!)

I would see a rail service operating as follows, with the railcar set
being based at Lithgow for maintenance purposes.

Lithgow to Bathurst - early am run for placement.

Bathurst to Lithgow
Lithgow to Mudgee)	Day return on branch
Mudgee to Lithgow)
Lithgow to Bathurst - early evening
Bathurst to Lithgow - for servicing.

This basic service has operated in the past, lastly using a DEB set.
At varius times, it has extended to Orange and Cowra.

A two car diesel unit could always be "borrowed" from State Mine
Railway;  however, I agree that it would not provide the most
comfortable of long distance services, particularly in mid winter!

Hunslet.