Re: Victorian branch lines

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:14:49 +1100, Mark Cauchi
<mark.cauchi@med.monash.edu.au> wrote:

>Janet Hoddinett wrote:
>> Are there any railway lines in Victoria where the service has been suspended
>> but the trackwork still exists?  Which lines ? Current condition?
>
>Springhurst-Wahgunyah minus trackwork at the former junction.
>Ballarat-Ararat.  Lilydale-Yarra Glen.  Coldstream-Yarra Glen, I believe
>is no longer part of the YVTR's order in council.

G'day.

I visted Wahgunyah in January this year, just to see the changes since
I last travelled there on a car-goods behind a D3 class.   (The mail
truck to Corowa, thence a 30T with one car and a van replacing a rail
motor).

Little remains of the former terminus.   All buildings have been
demolished, along with any loading bank.   If any track remained, it
was well hiddent under grass!

However, just down the track at Rutherglen, everything was complete,
including the level crossing gates - closed over the rail tracks, just
as if the last train had departed.

Hunslet.