Re: privatisation of public transport

csinn@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I would like to know what other peoples opinions are on privatisation of
> public transport. I live in Melbourne Australia and its about to happen here

It has been good news in New Zealand (for passengers). It is been mixed
news in the UK. Public transport in Hong Kong has always been privately
owned and is excellent. Yet publicly owned transit in Europe is among
the best in the world.

It really depends on the kind of private ownership. Melbourne's trams
and trains have been bankrupted under union-driven state ownership.
Surely nothing could be worse? But then it might be, depending on the
eventual contracts with the new owners. On the other hand things might
improve in Melbourne the way they have in New Zealand.

In other words, all we can do is wait and see.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

Flight engineer: I don’t like this.
Captain: We’re 26 miles north, I’ll have to climb out of this.
GPWS: Whoop whoop! Pull up! Pull up!
Captain: Go round power, please.
Flight engineer: Five hundred feet.
GPWS: Whoop whoop! Pull up! Pull up!
Flight engineer: Four hundred.
GPWS: Whoop whoop------
End of tape.
-- The last moments of Air New Zealand flight TE 901 and its 257
passengers and crew, Mt Erebus, Antarctica, November 28 1979. Twenty
years ago this year.