Re: Travelling home with Hillside trains <=> V/line

PCCSTREETCAR@webtv.net (John Engleman) writes:

> All these stupid little happenings that are just beginning to be noticed
> are just a forerunner of things to come, as The Met metamorphasizes from
> what the other 99% of world transit operations strive to be  ("A
> SYSTEM") to A Service that will eventually rival the world's worst.  Why
> on Earth would any sane person want to break up a system that basically
> worked into four services that can't even communicate with each other?
> Oh, never mind, I forgot whose idea all this was.  We all know that the
> words, "Kennett" and "Sane" can't be used together.

Prediction: Unless explicitly blocked by legislation (and maybe even
then) there will be mergers between Yarra/Swanston Trams and
Hillside/Bayside Trains within ten years, possibly less.

The savings to be made by merging management & gaining more flexible
use of rolling stock will override any remaining qualms about
"competition".

No other outcome makes any sense.

--
Clive Newall <crn@itga.com.au> / ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne Australia
"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"