Re: Reopening NSW branch lines

David Proctor (daproc@spam_this.umpires.com) wrote:
> Ricky <debard@winshop.com.au> wrote in message
> 36f64242.4404440@news.winshop.com.au">news:36f64242.4404440@news.winshop.com.au...

> > What about a DAILY service to Griffith. They run a bus don't they. Why
> > pay a bus company to do it when there is a perfectly good rail line
> > there just rusting away. You could run an Explorer service to Albury.
> > They could Divide at either Junee or Cootamundra.

> Better still, leave the current XPT's to Melbourne, and ST3 would service
> south of Junee - have a combined Canberra/Griffith Xplorer leaving Sydney
> around lunch time, dividing at Goulburn.

I suggested that last year, but my favoured option is an Albury/Griffith
Xplorer running to approximately the old Riverina XPT timings. About 12.15
ex-Sydney. The Canberra Xplorer can run as a sweeper to Goulburn, so the
Riverina Xplorer only stops Strathfield, Campbelltown, Moss Vale and
Goulburn, then all stations still with platforms to Albury and Griffith.
Places such as Bowning, Gerogery, etc can be conditional stops.

OF course, this requires more Xplorers. WIht some rearrangement of
services on all lines, you can actually run a a 2-car Xplorer to Griffith
four days per week (also 4 cars daily to Dubbo and and 2 cars 3/week to
Broken Hill) with the existing rollingstock.

Cheers
David