Re: Reopening NSW branch lines

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:26:02 +1000, Barry Campbell
<barryC@qimr.edu.au> wrote:

>David Bromage wrote:
>>
>> David Bromage (dbromage@fang.omni.com.au) wrote:
>>
>> > Ever heard of the Silver City Comet?
Yes i have but we are nearing the new millenium and we are still using
1950's rolling stock and ideas. To encourage people to use rail again
you should be encouraging a through service and make it attractive to
tourism.
I know that they run tours with the service to Broken Hill ( I went on
the train before I left State Rail). But people would be encouraged to
travel on a DIRECT service.
When I travelled on the services that I spoke about (middle of last
year) the trains were 75% full. They could increase this by better
advertising and modern rolling stock.

What about a DAILY service to Griffith. They run a bus don't they. Why
pay a bus company to do it when there is a perfectly good rail line
there just rusting away. You could run an Explorer service to Albury.
They could Divide at either Junee or Cootamundra.

>> Or for that matter, have you ever travelled to Mt Isa by rail?
>>
>Townsville - Mt Isa doesn't require a change of trains. If you wanted to
>go from Brisbane you'd use McCaffertys.
>

>Barry Campbell
Web Site http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Network/1104
Here We Go Again