Re: Travelling home with Hillside trains <=> V/line

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> <snip>
> Have you seen the latest Hillside trick for late running trains?

> If a train is running late (like 10 minutes) and they need it back

> at the other end (like most trains) the do one or both of the following:
> Run Express for some part of the journey (when it is ment to stop) or,
> terminate (short running, like trams used to alot) early.
>
> <snip>
>
> No trains do the express running show above.
>
> Changing services half way through the trip is stupid.  Like the trams
> used to short run because they were running late.

When I went up to Melbourne for my graduation ceremony last October, the train
at Frankston (a Hitachi) had problems with the doors, and ended up leaving about
20 minutes late.
To make up time, the train ran express (IIRC)
Frankston-Carrum-Chelsea-Mordialloc-Cheltenham-
Caulfield-South Yarra (the schedule was to run express Moorabbin-Caulfield and
Malvern-South Yarra).
As a result, I got from Frankston to Flinders St (direct) in just *39*  minutes
- which must be a near-record.

If only some peak period trains could get to the city this fast....

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers