Re: Hitachi

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, David Johnson wrote:

> > Why is it that in Melbourne the Hitachi trains always operate in 6 cars
> > while the newer Air Conditioned cars can run with 6 or 3 cars
>
> The main reason, I suspect, would be the ease of dividing and amalgamating.  To
> divide two Comeng trains would require pressing a button and raising the trips.
> To divide two Hitachi trains would require manually uncoupling, closing the BP
> and MR cocks and disconnecting the hoses, disconnecting the MU cable, and
> raising the trips.
>
> I think that is how the trains work down there...

Sorry David, not quite right.

Yes, it would be a pain to couple and uncouple Hitachi's on a regular
basis, but that is not the main reason for their 6 car train running.
It is the air-conditioned cabs (with bullet proof windscreens), which
define which motor cars lead trains. The Met, in their money saving
wisdom, only modified approximately half the Hitachi fleet and the union
has banned the use of non modified cabs.
Therefore, only half the Hitachi fleet of motor cars can lead trains,
therefore the Hitachi's must run in 6 car units in regular service.

Three car Hitachi's can be seen sometimes, but that is only on workshops
transfers, or emergencies.

Gareth