Re: Reopening NSW branch lines

In article <JbIG2.9$tb.378962@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> I've only managed to catch snippets of information about Friday's
> announcement. There were about 30 lines listed last year, which has been
> cut down to a short list of 13 - 6 for freight (not including the
> previously announced Harden - Blayney and Kandos - Gulgong lines) and 7
> for "heritage" operations.
>
> <snip>
>
> North Star - Boggabilla

North Star - Boggabilla overlaps Queensland Rail's proposed
Goondiwindi to Moree branch line.  Does anyone know if the
QR Moree branch is still happening, and if so, whether it will
be dual guage or 3'6" only?  I presume some dual guage will
be involved, at least between Moree and North Star.

As for the other lines to be re-opened - this all sounds like
standard pre-election hype to me.  While the Borbidge (coalition)
government was in power, there was a lot of noise about
re-opening mothballed QR branches. In reality, the only re-opened
line was the Mareeba to Mt Surprise section of Cairns - Forsayth,
and this period saw several other lines mothballed.

This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colingw<AT>foxboro.com.au