Re: Ringwood Railway Station

: > At least with Box Hill, Platform 1 is there, and has been used.  (Now I have
: > started something)

: So, when was platform 1 at Box Hill ever used?  There is no track -
: never has been as far as I know and no means of passenger access from
: the station - unless you bulldoze the back wall out of McDonalds.

: Was it a temporary situation during construction?

Yes, it was temporary.  The old station had three platforms on island and
one other.  The islane was slipt donw the middle and Box Hill became 2
platforms while they constructed the new station next to the old, in the
new station they then used Platforms 1 and 2 (with no roof) until they
finished platfroms 3 and 4.

So Platfrom 2,3,4 are directly underneath the old platfroms 1,2,3.

Old Box Hill:
       **Plat 3*****
________________________
________________________
       **Plat 1&2**
________________________

At One stage during const:
       **Plat 3****
________________________
________________________
       **Plat 2****
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Construction Site

Then:

      Construction Site
+++++++++++++++++++++++
      **Plat 2**** (lower)
      **Plat 1**** (lower)

and Now construction site is Platforms 3 and 4.  1 is not used.  If they
didn't need to use Platform 1 during the transition between the old and
new would they have built it?  I thing they would have just left space,
and not built the platform.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord