Re: GEs for Victoria?

    As in the USA as in Australia, GEs come faster and cheaper.
This has always been the case as Goninan vs Clyde.  Tenders are not always
determined by fuel consumption.
    QR investigated heavily both companies both here and overseas, on cost,
performance & fuel economy, when deciding who to build their 4000 class AC
diesel locomotives.
    Some sources have told me that even though GEs are cheaper than EMDs,
their spare parts are dearer than EMD.
    The EMD prime mover has been the easiest of GE EE Sulzer Alco to gain
access to maintain and repair.  The 567 engine was designed for ease of
maintenance in an era when engine wear was more important than fuel cost.
    A few ex NSW Fitter Foremen told me years ago their perfect diesel
locomotive would be one with EMD mechanical components and GE electrical
components.
    In the main EMDs are dearer but last longer.
    The debate rages on- on both sides of the Pacific.
    Anyway why would Freight Victoria want to spend money on new locomotives
when the track(and train crews) is screaming out for urgent attention and
renewal.  The best locomotives in the world can not improve transit times on
poor trackwork.  Upgrade the existing locomotives and lay new track should
be the priority.
    Anyway why introduce non standard locomotives to Victoria.