Re: Balloon loops on Australian tramways

IIRC, there was an investigation into converting Melbourne to single-ended
operation with balloon and/or round-the-block loops. It saves heaps on car
design (only one set of doors) and you get more seats in a given size car.
But the extra land and track required and problems with short-workings would
be the killers. A few small systems have done it, I think - Hong Kong
(island line) was double-ended originally, I think. The cars can still be
driven from both ends, but there is a "front" and a "back" - I can't
remember how to tell the difference. I think the fare box is only at one
end.

Don't know if anyone's gone the other way (single- to double-ended)
Rgds
Ron BEST