Re: Balloon loops on Australian tramways

Ron BEST wrote:

>My favourite balloon loop (not in Oz) is Shau Ki Wan (not sure about the
>spelling) in Hong Kong. Nearest thing to a tram doing a u-turn in the
>street! I would guess the curve radius would be about 30-40 feet.

Shau Kei Wan! It's the eastern terminus of the Island tramway,
operated by the Hong Kong Tramway Co Ltd with 164 double-deckers.

But if you think the balloon loop at Shau Kei Wan is tight, have you
seen the loop at Causeway Bay, right at the end of the Island's
poshest shopping precinct? That IS tight. It goes round-through a
traffic island. And it's in regular use on shortworkings that don't
proceed to North Point or Shau Kei Wan.

The trams in the New Territories, based around Tuen Mun, also use
turning loops... though much bigger radius ones than on the Island...
and the Tuen Mun trams are ultra-new single deckers with air
conditioning, and much faster than the lumbering double deckers that
ply the Island's Kennedy Town - Shau Kei Wan & Happy Valley lines.

However I agree, in this flash modern world, a ride on a Hong Kong
double decker through those amazing, teeming streets is an experience
of a lifetime.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

The only city in the world where you will find signs at pedestrian
crossings which say: "Pedestrians give way to traffic."