Re: GEs for Victoria?

Yesiree - the H-series GMs boast 6000hp for traction in a Co-Co. UP is the
buyer. Trains mag ran an article on these last year. I think these units
weigh in lighter than GE's Co-Co gas-turbines rebuilt as dual diesels back
in the ummm-was it 70s? These were 216t, I think the big GMs are about 195t
like the rigs on the Pilbara lines.

DW

MarkBau1 wrote in message <19990308014926.10926.00005140@ng93.aol.com>...
><<<<<<I do understand now that GM  make 4 stroke diesels in the US.
>Maybe Mark could provide a bit more info.>>>>>>>
>
>Yes, EMD are now producing the H series of engines which are indeed 4
stroke.
>However, the move to 4 stroke was to keep up with GE in the horsepower
race,
>I've never heard fuel efficiency being mentioned as the reason. EMD simply
>couldn't get anymore power out of their 710 engine or even a next
generation 2
>stroke.
>
>I would be a little sceptical of claims that NR's are MUCH more fuel
efficient
>than an equivilent EMD loco. For the last decade or so GE and EMD's have
been
>about equal in terms of fuel effiency as I understand it. GE's have an
>offsetting factor of their 4 strokes requiring more maintenence than a 2
stroke
>but that is now moot with EMD going to 4 strokes.
>
>Most likely NR went for GE's on price, thats the reason most US roads go
for
>them. GE can also deliver loco's much faster than EMD due to their state of
the
>art manufacturing facility, (although this would not be a factor in
Australian