Re: GEs for Victoria?

<<<<<<I do understand now that GM  make 4 stroke diesels in the US.
Maybe Mark could provide a bit more info.>>>>>>>

Yes, EMD are now producing the H series of engines which are indeed 4 stroke.
However, the move to 4 stroke was to keep up with GE in the horsepower race,
I've never heard fuel efficiency being mentioned as the reason. EMD simply
couldn't get anymore power out of their 710 engine or even a next generation 2
stroke.

I would be a little sceptical of claims that NR's are MUCH more fuel efficient
than an equivilent EMD loco. For the last decade or so GE and EMD's have been
about equal in terms of fuel effiency as I understand it. GE's have an
offsetting factor of their 4 strokes requiring more maintenence than a 2 stroke
but that is now moot with EMD going to 4 strokes.

Most likely NR went for GE's on price, thats the reason most US roads go for
them. GE can also deliver loco's much faster than EMD due to their state of the
art manufacturing facility, (although this would not be a factor in Australian
built loco's)

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/