Re: Brisbane Light Rail,Briztram - questions

In article <36e24ee1.8070901@bri-news.tpg.com.au>,
  qldspeed-spamisevil@geocities.com (qldspeed) wrote:

> Ah tramways (now renamed as light rail so it doesn't sound old hat)
> the very best of 1830's technology, (New York steam tram 1837) and
> 1881 (Berlin - first electric tram) and adapted from a technique used
> in ancient Greece and Rome....
>
> Which one looks more modern to you now?

Neither, but what are you trying to argue? This is one of the silliest of all
arguments against modern rail, because it ignores the huge technological gains
made in the many, many, years since. The telephone was invented by Alexandar
Graham Bell in 1876, yet by your line of argument, your posting must have
delivered to the world by 'the very best of 1870s technology'.

> I don't really give a toss if it's one rail of two!
>
> I just don't think we can afford to sacrifice the roadways to an
> inflexible traffic stopper. If they can build it without resuming
> roadways or parking space then I'm all for it.

I don't think we can afford to sacrifice the inner city roadways to
inefficient traffic stoppers such as private automobiles. Buses and trams
make much better use of the scarce and congested road space. If you were to
try and replace the carrying capacity of one modern tram using cars you'd
need well over forty. Instead of one clean and well behaved vehicle taking up
30 metres of road space, you'd have many dirty polluting vehicles taking
several blocks of roads space, fighting to push through, honking their horns,
mowing down pedestrians...

It all depends what you want to achieve. If you want to move large volumes of
people, install trams and buses. If you are only interested in moving
vehicles, stick to private transport.

> qldspeed

Rob

Sydney (Australia)