Re: Brisbane Light Rail,Briztram - questions

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 00:28:17 +1100, Chris Brownbill
<cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:

>qldspeed wrote:
>>

>> The whole light rail thing is a JOKE - it would never have been
>> thought of if they hadn;t wanted to find a way to spend the $65M grant
>> from the feds.
>>
>> Will it improve the traffic situation through town/ the valley - NO
>> WAY!!! It's just going to make thing worse.
>>
>> They keep talking about MODERN system - what about a MONORAIL for
>> god's sake!
>

>Ah Monorails; - the very very best of 1960's technology and aesthetics.

Ah tramways (now renamed as light rail so it doesn't sound old hat)
the very best of 1830's technology, (New York steam tram 1837) and
1881 (Berlin - first electric tram) and adapted from a technique used
in ancient Greece and Rome....

Which one looks more modern to you now?

I don't really give a toss if it's one rail of two!

I just don't think we can afford to sacrifice the roadways to an
inflexible traffic stopper. If they can build it without resuming
roadways or parking space then I'm all for it.

How about an ELEVATED RAIL SYSTEM. They have them too you know.
(around 1890 as I understand it - hell that's almost 20th century!)

qldspeed