Re: Brisbane Light Rail,Briztram - questions

Chris Brownbill wrote:

>air.  The problem is that unless people really have no choice they wont
>leave ground level - its not user friendly.  (In really large places
>like NY etc a subway is the only choice), but in somewhere like Brisbane
>ground level is the place to be.  The irony is that by removing public
>transport from the streets it makes the city far less livable.

You make an excellent point.

In 1968, the MMTB proposed putting Melbourne's trams underground in
Swanston Street and in much of St Kilda Road.

This would have immediately made the trams less accessible. Look at
the chaos and limited capacity of the MUNI subway in San Francisco,
which has led to the reinstatement of PCC trams running on the surface
again over the same route along Market Street.

In Frankfurt-am-Main in Germany, so many tram routes in the CBD were
replaced with U-Bahn lines that the city is now reinstating former
surface tramways again to try to get a semblance of service going.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

 Bill Clinton and Al Gore go into a local diner for lunch, As they
read  the menu, the waitress comes over and asks Clinton, "You ready
to order?"
"Yes," Clinton replies, "I'd like a quickie."
"A quickie?" the waitress replies. "Sir, given the current situation
of your personal life, I don't think that is a good idea. I'll come
back when you are ready to order from the menu." She walks away.
Al Gore leans over to Clinton and says, "It's pronounced "Quiche"