Re: See R711's tyres being manufactured!- Why not standardise??-the last word.

Grahame Ferguson (grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au) wrote:
> To reply to all who think that we will not have the standard gauge capacity
> for rail preservation, let me be cryptic by saying that why do we have to
> connect only at Newport ?  Again we take the easy path and say that there
> should be no change, and do not say why not and  go for it!  There are many
> sites close by to the S.G. and that any connections will never cost in the
> millions- think laterally!

Think laterally. Steamrail is having enough trouble looking after two
adjacent depots. A new sg depot would have to be built from scratch,
requiring land acquisition, purchase of rail, laying tracks, building
sheds, etc. That could easily run into the millions. The initial set of
mainline points would cost close to $100,000 for a start.

As I said before, it all sounds good in theory. There is no space
available for this sort of setup in the greater Melbourne area. Leaving
aside the cost, the only possibilities I can think of are Somerton
(borderline possibility), Wallan and Gheringhap. Corio might be a
possibility of Elders gets a sg siding.

The only way I can see sg preservation working in Victoria is for all
preservation societies which operate on the main lines to join forces. Not
much chance of that.

Cheers
David