Re: See R711's tyres being manufactured!- Why not standardise??

David Bromage wrote in message ...
>Grahame Ferguson (grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au) wrote:
>> 1. In Richard Flinders reply of 1/3/99 it states that they have easily
>> convertable ex-SAR steel cars, so there are cars available.
>
>But are they? It all sounds good in theory, but think about the
>practicalities. You need two sets of bogies for each car, which cost money
>to maintain. You need to get them from Newport to Dynon to be regauged,
>which costs a fortune. And if you don't have anywhere to store them for
>any length of time on sg, you have to convert them back again after the
>trip. The lack of a proper sg depot was the death of Steamrail's previous
>attempt at an sg fleet.
>
>$ steel cars are okay for a day trip by diesel, but you need more than 4
>cars. You'll also need some sort of buffet, crew support, coal, sleeping
>cars, etc. The longer the trip, the more support cars you need.
>
>> 2. Albury, Seymour, & Ararat, are not all on circuitous routes. Nor may
>> others that will be converted.
>
>It takes forever to get to Ararat. You'd be lucky to do a day trip by
>steam in under 12 hours. Seymour is not always convenient due to lack of a
>proper sg platform and operational problems. Albury is really a bit far
>for a day trip. If Benalla turntable was duel gauged, then you might get
>somewhere.
>
>> 3. Eventhough a Steam engine might not easily  be converted to s.g., a
>> diesel easily can!
>
>My point exactly.
>
>> 6. If families want to have steam train rides close to home for a day
ride,
>> then we are already outmarketed by Puffing Billy.
>
>This hasn't stopped main line trips in the past.
>
>> 7. If we want the people of Country Victoria to enjoy steam then we must
>> standardise.
>
>The nearby places will still have bg services, notably the lines which
>have a frequent passenger service. Beyond that, it's a mammoth task to get
>a steam train there today.
>
>Cheers
>David

    Thank you to all.  I am glad to have stirred some debate at last!!  But
it appears to me that we are still making excuses why we should not, rather
than biting the bullet and going for it.  It seems who ever does some degree
of standardising their rolling stock and conversion of their yard
facilitites will in the end get a quantum boost to their charters , if they
are the only show in town that can run any where in Victoria, and for that
matter Australia.
    If South Australians some 20 years ago had quitely and slowly planned
for some standardisation well they would have it all, but now the exposure
of the General Public to Steam is very small.  Ex CR  and SAR carriages  and
locomotives already on standard gauge could have been used.  GM2 is now
static, but GM1 should have been procured by the Commonwealth before they
sold AN, as GM1 was restored by AN when it was owned by the Australian
Public.
    The only way you promote yourself to the young and Mr & Mrs Average is
by going through their home town.  If they strike up an interest then public
and political support will follow.  You have to take water to the horse, not
the other way round.  Let us not miss the train in Victoria.
    Who dares wins!!!