Re: Ararat BG connections

Yuri J Sos (steam4me@enternet.com.au) wrote:
> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote, and I selectively
> quote:

> >. Getting a bg track over to the
> >turntable is not going to be easy either, you'd need a set of mainline
> >points on the Ballarat line and have to cross the Maryborough line.

> The TT lead will need a set of mainline points, but doesn't need to
> cross the SG line to connect to the BG.

Apologies, I was working from memory. My Weston Langford books are not
usually brought to work. :)

>                                                        SG Maryborough
>                    --------------------\              /
>                   /                     \------------/  /TT lead (BG)
>                  /                       \             /
>                 /  ====================   \
> Dimboola  -----/---------------------------\     ====== BG to Ballarat
>                  Ararat Sta.                \
>                                              \------------- Maroona SG

> To reconnect to Ararat station would mean crossing the siding lead b/w
> the Maroona line and the Maryborough line, then joining and dual
> gauging the station road;

Alternative: Cross the Maroona line and use the old back platform, if the
relocated signal box allows it. Less complex dual gauge trackwork. This
also means that if passenger services were ever reinstated, you can have a
cross-platform connection to a sg train to Horsham or Dimboola.

> FV would probably better off paying for construction of the third arm
> of a triangle at Maroona to enable trains to move directly from
> Gheringhap to Portland without a reversing move.

This was supposed to happen when the line was regauged, but the
predictable arguments between V/Line and the feds over who would pay for
it killed it. When Ararat - Maryborough was regauged, Ararat was also to
have become a triangular junction.

Cheers
David