Re: Swanston Street Works

On 1 Mar 1999, Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> They have redone the points outside the city baths, they now start at
> the south end of the intersection (Franklin St) split staight and go
> straigh for a while then curve around the corner.  Have a look it is a
> interesting layout now (much better, and you can change the points
> with out walking in to the intersection like before)  I spose the
> removed the control of the points from the signal box becuse it is not
> used any more.

A few comments/corrections if I may:
The signalbox has not been used for years now, since all Melb bound trams
went all the way up to Melb Uni.
When changing the points, the drivers never walked into the intersection
(usually)(as if the union would have a bar of that!), they drove their
tram into the middle of intersection, then got out and changed the points
(too bad if the traffic lights changed!)

Additional comments from David Langberg, whilst talking to a Swanston
Trams employee overseeing the work:
This is the 2nd last major infrastructure project from Swanston Trams, any
further work will be undertaken by the new private company aftre June.
(The next project will be the High St & Chapel St intersection)

The replacement of the Swanston St / Franklin St points were scheduled for
a while ago, but was cancelled at the last minute.  It was done on the
weekend just gone becuase of the Grand Pirx next weekend, and this
intersection was regarded as "a major problem intersection".  i.e. If
something is going to stuff up while the Grand Prix is on, it would be a
tram derailed at this intersection.

And finally, one question form me:
Has the overhead wires been moved?
If it is still in the former position, how much do poles lean to one side,
whilst travelling under the old wire position?  Obviously not enough for
pantographs to come off the wires.

Gareth Lumsden.