Re: Yarra Trams given to Metrolink

>Why not just build a tram line up High Street to Reservoir? It would have
>more traffic potential.

Why not build a train line parallel to High Street with stations at regular
intervals eg every major cross street? It would probably be much quicker
than a tram.

Oops, it already exists. Oh well, that's good, the PTC can spend money on
services that won't duplicate other services and compete.

Whilst I don't think the West Preston extension is necessary (plus seeing
how much the local residents of Edwardes Street will love a tram line down
the middle of a street which would be narrow and much more difficult to park
cars along if a tram line was built), I think it would make more sense as it
would serve an area currently not railed (although the bus service that
exists along the route doesn't appear to be overly taxed - why replace half
empty buses with half empty trams?) than a High Street service which would
duplicate the existing train line. The only advantage is people wouldn't
have to walk the extra couple of hundred meters to the station. Anyway, the
bus route along High Street appears to serve the purpose quite adequately. I
thought the place of trams in the transport chain was that they offered a
more intense service than buses to carry greater numbers of people. Given a
high capacity train line (currently underused) runs alongside High Street
and St Georges Road for that matter, a tram along St Georges Road and the
connecting 552 bus along High Street to Reservoir, I don't know that another
tram line running parallel is needed. If we must spend this sort of money,
how about a tram line along Bell Street? It would cope a lot better, get a
lot of people out of their car and could be done at minimal expense and
disruption using the median strip and/or one lane. The only difficult part
is the bridge over the river near Heidelberg, the Upper Heidelberg Road
intersection and Burgundy Street. The 513 runs a 20 minute off peak and 10
minute peak service and appears to have a few takers. A tram service would
probably attract a lot more people than the bus which is slow, smelly and
waits too long at the time points.