Re: Yarra Trams given to Metrolink

John Wayman wrote:

> Who would have the patience to travel from Knox City to the City by tram?

Tram gunzels.

> East Burwood is too far now.

But this line is not for commuting from East Burwood to the city, it is
a trunk east-west transport corridor along its length. There are lots of
schools, shopping centres and employment centres along the route. It is
also handy to transfer to trains for a speedy journey into the city from
Hartwell and Hawthorn.  Extending it to Knox City would just further the
east-west transit corridor concept.

> It is better to build the lines closer to the
> city that should have beeen built years ago.

The West Coburg line has cried out for a northerly extension for
decades, as has the West Preston line. The Airport West line was meant
to be extended further north, but nothing seems to have happened.

The Mont Albert to Box Hill extension, now approved, is valuable as like
the East Burwood extension it creates a transport corridor.... lots of
people from Kew eastwards will be able to use it to get to Box Hill, and
lots of people east of Box Hill will be able to get off the train at Box
Hill and transfer to the tram to complete their journeys towards Balwayn
and Kew. The Mont Albert terminus is not the kind of transport-retail
hub that generates much patronage beyond the people who live nearby who
want to go to Kew or town.

> Perhaps all the lines proposed to be built by 1985 may get built by 2005?

What lines closer to the city do you think should be built?

My top priority for a completely new tram line is one using the median
of the Eastern Freeway as far as Doncaster Road, then via Doncaster Road
at least as far as Blackburn Road. I would build a second line off the
freeway by road to Templestowe.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand