Re: Yarra Trams given to Metrolink

Michael Walker wrote:

> >The West Coburg line has cried out for a northerly extension for
> >decades, as has the West Preston line. The Airport West line was meant
> >to be extended further north, but nothing seems to have happened.

> Where would you extend the West Preston tram to apart from the extra block
> to the lake? I think there are more important lines to be extended eg
> Bundoora RMIT to Mill Park or even South Morang, North Balwyn to
> Shoppingtown, Eastern Freeway tram, Airport West to Gladstone Park, etc. I
> would even dare to suggest that the money would be better spent extending
> bus routes rather than many tram lines eg 560 to Tullamarine Airport and run
> on weekend seriously, so on.

The obvious extension of the West Preston tram route is up to the lake
then across
to reservoir station.
The pity about the West Coburg route is the poor track layout through
Royal Park.
There seems to have been no real reson for the sharp curves within the
park,
particularly those between Flemington road and Elliott Ave. Otherwise,
it would
be worth extending further north.
The extension of the North Blawyn route to Shoppingtown would certainly
be worth
while.
Another route that could be extended is the East Malvern tram to East
Malvern
station.

John McCallum