Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

In article <AHUd3.17333$PN5.45306@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
  "Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)" <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:

> John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote in message
> 7l56g4$mpc$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:7l56g4$mpc$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> >
> > Don't know how, but it was known as Rosstown first.  There is the
> > Rosstown Hotel and not much else from that era, although there are
> > remnants (formation and a bridge) of the short-lived Rosstown
> > (Junction?) Railway from Oakleigh to Eslternwick.
> >
> Has there ever been / likely to be a book on Melbourne's forgotten
railways?
> You seem to have even more down there than we in Sydney, I think!

I don't know of a single book, but there was one on the Rosstown
Railway.

Melbourne's Forgotten Railways I can remember:
   Rosstown - Oakleigh-Elsternwick
   Inner Circle
   Outer Circle
   St Kilda - Windsor
      (note - all these formed loops, or cross-suburb lines)
   Williamstown Racecourse line
   Fitzroy line
   Kew line
   Springvale Cemetery (?)
plus of course the relatively recent conversions to light rail:
   Port Melbourne line
   St Kilda line

Any more?
--