Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

Roderick Smith wrote:

> My contribution tonight was going to include Llanfair pg and the text of
> Queensland railway lines; both have been covered by earlier posters.
>
> Where (in Australia) would one find the following station names:
> Elizabeth
> Churchill
> Winston
> Gloucester
> Mountbatten
> Corroboree
> Victory
> Utopia
> Welcome
> Worth While.
>
> * SNIP *

When it comes to stations named after people, there are a couple of interesting
examples in Melbourne/Victoria, both on the same line:
* Carnegie - named after philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, in a (unsuccessful)
attempt to get some of his money.
* Garfield - named in honour of US president Garfield, assassinated (sp?) in
1889 (and not the comic-strip cat! :-).

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
**** Seeking Employment in the Cartography/GIS Field, Details at: