Re: Channel 7 "Learners Show" Tram Driving.

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST) wrote in message ...
>Should this have been posted on "sightings"? (Seriously, but pun also
>intended!)
>
>--
>Rgds
>
>Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)
>John Lambert <jalambert@redland.net.au> wrote in message
>37720dbc.0@hoisp1.redland.net.au">news:37720dbc.0@hoisp1.redland.net.au...
>> BBQ 7 in Brisbane just showed a promo for the "Learners" television show
>> that is going to air this coming Sunday Evening (27 June) at 7.00 PM.
>> The usual assortment of people attempting to learn to drive (or aim a
>motor
>> vehicle) were shown in the promo as well as the comment of "Do you think
>> that you can learn to drive a tram?"
>> It would appear that one segment of the upcoming show is someone learning
>> drive a tram in Melbourne.
>> A "W" class (No unknown) was used in the promo.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see if "First Emergency" and "Fourth Emergency"
>> stops are performed.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John Lambert.
>> Brisbane Tramway Museum.

Whilst the W class has relatively simple controls to master, a driver of any
rail vehicle needs to have good reflexes and co-ordination, particularly
when it runs down city streets with errant motorists and pedestrians.
A tram is expected to be able to pull up within a few metres to avoid an
obstruction, whereas a train needs several hundred to stop.   I had one
experience in Melbourne on a W class where I seriously considered asking the
driver if he was qualified - he was giving the passengers such an
uncomfortable ride by notching up far too fast and similarly braking too
hard.   I agree with Mark that it is easy to drive a tram, but to drive such
a heavy lethal weapon down busy streets in a safe manner, and giving
passengers a smooth ride is not something everyone is capable of.

(I was a qualified tram driver at the Sydney Tramway Museum Loftus for 10
years)

David Bennetts
Canberra