Re: Bugger all express services on Hillside Trains (was "No Express Service on CityRail compared to TransAdelaide")

In article <7kv6ru$oh9$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> amorton@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Anthony Morton) writes:
>From: amorton@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Anthony Morton)
>Subject: Re: Bugger all express services on Hillside Trains (was "No Express Service on CityRail compared to TransAdelaide")
>Date: 25 Jun 1999 06:16:30 GMT

>FRISCÉ Theatre Co. (Bryan Cullis) <rabonzo@primus.com.au> wrote:

>>So what's the decision?  Take the one express train and arrive 15 minutes
>>early, or take three separate trains and arrive 20 minutes late?

>Haven't you got the message by now?  You're supposed to get a car like
>normal people, thereby helping our poor, impoverished car industry and
>giving the Government an excuse to spend more of your tax money building
>more roads.  Don't you realise that every extra kilometre of freeway adds
>about 100 trillion dollars to our GDP?

>Seriously, I'd ring up your local MP and let them know what you think of
>your lousy train service.  (Apparently it's going to get even worse on
>Sundays - you'll get through services to the city instead of having to
>change at Ringwood, but the frequency goes down from 30 minutes to 40.)

>Also, if you're not a member of the PTUA (Public Transport Users Association)
>consider giving them a ring (9560 7898) and asking them about their campaign
>for better public transport in the outer eastern suburbs.

>Cheers,
>Tony Morton

Dont laugh, cars are one of the greatest money makers that the Feds have got.
Fuel excise received mainly on petrol, ie paid for by you and me mug motorists,
rakes in a whopping $12 billion per annum in revenue, and the Feds only have
to give back around $1 billion PA for roads , so a nice $11 billion profit PA
is made thanks to cars , why would you want to get rid of em.
When one considers that the total tax take , ie tax from all sources runs at
around the $130 billion per annum , cars are making just under 10% .
No single other tax on any commodity raises anything like fuel taxes do.

Its interesting that in the whole GST debate noone has noticed that fuel
excises will stay as they are.

MD