Re: Bluebirds to Run extra services in SA?

In article <19990624030502.12516.00000947@ng-fy1.aol.com> markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) writes:
>From: markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1)
>Subject: Re: Bluebirds to Run extra services in SA?
>Date: 24 Jun 1999 07:05:02 GMT

>The major problem with the Bluebirds on the Eastern line was that they became
>disabled on the ruling grade if they lost one engine. Not an acceptable
>situation to have happen on a mainline. The Bluebirds would have been accepted
>if they could keep themselves going on one engine.

>At least that is how it was reported to me by a foreman involved in the tests.

>Mark.

>Visit my train pic website at:
>http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/

This doesnt seem right.
Ive been in red hens climbing the 1:45 uncompensated grades to Belair on one
engine and whilst they go really slow , they still can make it.
Also been on the Mt Gambier bluebirds coming back from Mt Gambier on one engine
and again pretty slow from Callington but made it OK.
Admittedly that was a long time ago, back in the 1970s so its possible that
the engines are simply getting too old .
Anyone know what the HP rating of the Bluebirds & Red hen engines are ?
Fairly sure they are Rolls Royce.

MD