Re: NSWGR Timber Trestles

The Morphetts wrote in message <3770D63B.E3973442@onthenet.com.au>...
>Thank you guys for your input on this subject. It appears from your
information
>and some which was emailed direct that there probably was not any double
>tracked open transom timber bridges built in NSW - which is really a bit of
>surprise.

Logical though. If line was important enough for double track, high quality
construction called for: metal or masonry. Can you imagine the forces
involved with naturally out of balance mainline steamers on a 2-track timber
bridge at the same time at any sort of speed?

>Now that I'm wasting your time - here's a question I'd also like to hear
>answers to:
>
>You're out trainchasing and you decide to walk through a tunnel so you can
get
>in place for your next shot - but the train is closer than you calculated
and
>before you know it, you have a raging 38 behind you entering the tunnel at
+/-
>70MPH. You can't get to one of the workman's safety thinggies in time and
the
>tunnel is quite narrow - there's a good chance you'll be hit by the train
if
>you stand against the wall. Having prayed, how do you save yourself?
>
>Graham
>--
>The Coramba Creek Timber Company's Railway
>Web Page:
>http://www.onthenet.com.au/~grahamm/cctcr
>ICQ #: 8322797

I'd do what comes naturally.... lie down in the gutter.