Re: Melbourne (Aust) route 70 tram

Roderick Smith wrote:

> In Wed.23.6 Melbourne newspapers, TransUrban listed its tolls for this
> latest rape of Melbourne's road network.

Umm, are you opposed to road tolls?

As a supporter of public transport, I am very much in favour of charging
single-occupant private cars a hefty fee for the use of roads for
commuter-oriented driving and for such congestion-avoiding roads as
freeways. This would both discourage car trips that could be done by
public transport, and pay for freeways that could be used by essential
traffic to keep cars and trucks off the roads that public transport and
local private car traffic use.

I think a good, segregated toll-road system is a good idea, as it would
speed essential motor traffic. I also believe a world-class public
transport system is essential. There is room for both, and Melbourne is
an excellent example of a city where both are possible, with a bit of
imagination and political will.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand