Re: ASR to employ loco drivers

OK, there is one matter I'd like you to address publicly though, a matter
that Andrew Kitto of Transport SA failed to comment on in his reply to my
letter of concern about some rail safety issues:

In the "old days", the then State Transport Authority and Australian
National produced a booklet for children about rail safety, which was a
very positive way of encouraging safe behaviour in crossing tracks and the
like. With the advent of multiple owners and operators, only TransAdelaide
has continued with any kind of rail safety education for children, with
only informal contact with one other operator (NRC).

Shouldn't all owners and operators be contributing to such safety
education? Or do the public liability insurers only insist on rail owners
and operators doing what is required by Australian Standards (which cover
operations and signs but not anything to do with public awareness and
education), therefore educating the public is seen as an unjustified
expense?

I did contact Paul Gelston, Manager Statewide Operational Coordination at
Transport SA about this (as suggested by Andrew Kitto) but he did not seem
to have much in the way of answers or suggestions beyond reading the
Australian Standards (AS 1742.10 and AS 4292.10) and writing to the state
minister for transport.

It just seems rather discouraging that the new owners and operators are
not working together on public awareness of rail safety issues.

Arthur.