Re: Sydney CityRail suburban service chaos - AM services Thursday 17 June 1999

Railway Rasputin wrote in message <376B4B80.F46D48EB@fastlink.com.au>...

>I don't know I was sitting in the driver cab with half a dozen driver and
inspectors
>and we couldn't work it out.
>
>rgds

I may not have it right, but I suspect that I do.

The points that failed were the facing points in the Down Illawarra which
cross from that line to the Down Illa Local on the Up side of Sydenham. I
was on a Waterfall bound train at approx 10.00. It appeared that the suspect
points had been clipped in the REVERSE position. My train crossed at that
point to the Down Illa Local and subsequently crossed back to the Down Illa
at Tempe. This later movement was hindered by an Up Intercity train which
had been kept on the Up Illawarra. It would seem that the movement referred
to in the earlier posting was to avoid that very conflict.

Regards,

Geoff