Re: Route 70 Tram (Melb)

Ron BEST wrote:

> The Swanston St and Flinders St cables crossed at the intersection. Cars on
> one route (I don't know which one) had to "let go" as their cable ran UNDER
> the other ones. There was a bar across the cable trough ahead of the
> crossing cable to break off the head of a grip if the gripman forgot to let
> go. The idea being, better to disable one car than risk damaging a rope,
> which would completely stuff the service.--
> Rgds
>
> Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)

sounds just like the good ol' san francisco cable car system.. the same thign
happens where the Powell St.
lines crosses the California St. line. The Powell St. cable goes under the
California St. cable, and likewise has the bar, except a painted yellow line
across the tracks and the wording "LET GO" suffices as warning that the
gripman is required to do so.

Homer