Re: Long Island Scrap steel question

Krel wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:57:07 +1100, Gareth Lumsden
> <s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
>

> >Upon observing BL34 and BL29 running yesterday's 9553, (which included the
> >usual few scrap steel wagons) the BL's went somewhere which I thought was
> >unusual.  Upon arrival at the coil steel sidings, they then shunted the
> >scrap steel wagons down the (former?) Esso siding.  I have never seen
> >a train down there, (let alone two heavy BL's) and was under the impresion
> >that it was out of use.
> >Is this working usual?
> >What is down there? (Where do the wagons go?)
>
> Monday to Friday the scrap wagons (and the BLs) head down to Cresco
> siding to swap 3 empties for 3 loadeds. Scrap has been coming out of
> here for about 4-5 years. Firstly in bogie opens on the BG and then in
> Yellow containers. BHP has a scrap collection area there.

As well as the steel traffic, the Mornington Railway Preservation Society was
based there, at one of the Transwest sheds. This was from the mid-80's (approx),
to around 1990, when we were kicked out, and moved down to HMAS Cereberus.
This shed provided a useful cover and work area for some our rollingstock; the
remainder being outside on the siding.

This was probably about the only time that steam trains were operating on the
Long Island siding.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers