Re: Epping Sighting

Krel wrote:

> .
> <snip>
>
> While we are talking about useless trivia which loco in Victoria (and
> which in Australia) has been renumbered the most?
>
> Cheers
>
> Krel

The best that I can think of are some diesels that were renumbered 3 and 4 times:

* QR 2358,2355 -> Tasrail ZB9,ZB6 -> Tasrail ZR1(later ZP1),ZR2 following rebuild
-> 2100, 2101 following ATN takeover.

I don't know how much interest this will be, but I also have several examples of
renumbering twice, again with diesel locos:
1. Westrail's K202,K203 became A6,A9 when sold to BHP at Port Hedland, and then
D48,D51 when moved to Port Kembla.

2. QR's 1340,1321 became ZC41,ZC22 when sold to TasRail, and then later MKA5,MKA6
when sold again, this time to BHP at Whyalla. Other QR 1300 class, then Tasrail
ZC class, were also renumbered again following rebuilding by MKA, before being
sold to Malaysia.

3. Along with the above, some others in the 1300 class that were renumbered as
the ZC class were again renumbered in the 214x range when ATN took over. The same
happened with some locos in the 2350 class - they became the ZB class when sold
to Tasrail, and then were renumbered in the 212x range once ATN took over.

4. QR's DH56,DH28,DH24,DH36 became CC3-CC6 when sold to Cooks Construction in
Victoria, and I *assume* they were renumbered again when sold to Tully and Isis
sugar mills.

5. Freightcorp's 4825,4829,4815,4843,4811,4838 became 32-37 when sold to
Silverton, and it seems now they may be renumbered 48s32-48s37 (or something
similar) - or so the rumours go.

6. QR locos in the 1460 and 1502 classes became the DQ class when sold to
Tranzrail, and then were renumbered in the 200x range once moved to Tasmania.

7. On a smaller scale, Freightcorp's rail tractor X206 was renumbered X106, and
then IXT106 when it came under RSA ownership.

Hopefully, all of this makes sense.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers