Re: Melbourne's Docklands Tramway

Yuri J Sos/Melbourne AUS wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jun 1999 13:20:13 +1200, David McLoughlin
> <davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> wrote, and I selectively quote:
>
> > the strikers marched on Parliament.
> >Bolte's comment: "They can march up and down till they're bloody well
> >footsore." There was a big fuss as his use of a "swear" word.
>
> It was actually his "constituency", the farmers, wasn't it?

Certainly the farmers were his main constituency.

There was one tram driver and his conductor in that strike who bucked
the union, and drove their tram up and down route 64 until the union
thugs stopped them. There was a photo of them on the front of the Sun in
the tram... a W2. If I think hard enough I will even remember the
driver's name as he became famous because the union forced him out of
his job.

I dislike the Melbourne tramway union only marginally less than I
disliked Bolte. Both were/are thugs and dinosaurs who did nothing to
improve public transport in my favourite city. I hope the privatisation
of the trams and trains is the last we will see of Lou and his band of
bandits.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand