Re: Melbourne's Docklands Tramway

John Wayman wrote:

> The literature handed out at the City Link Bolte Bridge open day

The Bolte bridge, eh?

Henry Bolte was the dinosaur of a state premier when I was a very small
kid. Under him, nothing was done for public transport. The M&MTB were
forbidden to buy new trams or install new lines. It was only under his
successor  Dick (Hamer makes it happen) Hamer that the Zs were ordered
and the 75 extension opened.

There was a tram strike I remember, the strikers marched on Parliament.
Bolte's comment: "They can march up and down till they're bloody well
footsore." There was a big fuss as his use of a "swear" word.

There was even a song about him, with the line

Sydney's got its strippers, but we've got Henry Bolte

a reference to the Victorian stance of the government he ran.

Good riddance to the sod, and how fitting to name a road bridge after
the motoring lobby's friend.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand