Re: Tait Trains

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> : > What! The Taits were the most user friendly train we have had. What other
>
> : No way - just try getting on board with a pram or a wheelchair.
>
> How many wheelchairs were around then catching trains, they didn't even
> make ramps for the train till the late 1980's.  Besides the large guards
> doors/compartment had room for prams.

Yes Chris, prams etc always went in the guard's van. You note the difficulty of
putting prams in them, don't forget a lot of people didn't try to take prams by
train and foldup types were around. I recall when our family went anywhere by
train the pram was folded and placed in the guard's van. And wide door suburban
cars were not around to compare them with except BT201 but it was rare if it
turned up on the train you were catching.

David.