Re: Reporting Rail-related emergencies

MarkBau1 wrote:

> Arthur,
>
> Thanks for an interesting and well researched post.
>
> Would it really be that difficult for the various operators to put a sticker on
> something, (relay cabinet, level crossing sign) at every level crossing with a
> phone number?

All electrically protected level crossings in Victoria have a sticker with a toll
free telephone number and a number to quote when phoning about a crossing failure.
The number is a fault centre which unfortunately does not talk good railway
language and I found it difficult to make them see the problem one day when I had
cause to use it.

I was at Diggers' Rest one Sat afternoon and the booms stayed down after a down
sprinter had cleared the crossing. After about five minutes the cars started zig
zagging around the booms or turned around and went back. I checked the timetable
and found that the next train was due reasonably soon in the up direction. So I
phoned the number and reported the fault. I spoke railway language and that had
them fooled. They did not know what a track circuit failure was. They were far more
concerned that they got the name of the crossing right. I also phoned the police
and they gave me the run around, said that they had a car in the area and would
detach - I never saw it. Finally after some further time had elapsed, I phoned
train control but the only number I could remember was the nesg. But after
explaining that I knew what I was talking about (remember I have been out of the
railways for about 9 years at this time so I couldn't use the - I am a railway
employee line) he put me through to the right train controller who informed me that
the fitters had been called and were on their way. I waited around for the up
sprinter and guess that he had been radioed because he approached the crossing was
some caution. I left after about 1 hour of failure and never saw the fitters or the
coppers.

Another time I was technically trespassing near Brunswick signal box photographing
the semaphore signals before they were removed and I noticed a broken rail on the
up line. I reported to Brunswick signal box that there was a broken rail - up line
up leg just on the down side of the home arrival. I felt that he disbelieved me
even though I had used good railway language and said that I knew what I was
talking about with my railway years of experience.

Ho Hum, I will probably give up reporting these matters now, you seem to get
nowhere.

David Langley.