Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>jumbojim@my-deja.com wrote:

>> The problem is unlikely to be one of Cityrail's making. More likely it
>> will be a failure of Energy Australia's Power Supplies or
>> Telstra's/RAC's communications/signalling equipment.
>>
>> Imagine what might happen. You could conceivably have trains stranded in
>> tunnels without traction, tunnel lighting or station lighting power for
>> several hours.

>Yes, but by the time the emergency lighting batteries fail, all trains, tunnels
>and stations will have been emptied - Assuming of course that there even is a
>blackout!

 I seriously doubt it. If the electricty grid hickups, the ability of the
emergency services to respond will be seriously hampered. There will be more
than enough caos above ground to keep them occupied, especially if a mob
decides that lack of power means no security systems and starts trying to
loot the CBD shops like what happened in New York all those years ago when
the Niagra switchtyard failed.

 On a normal new years at that time, the city railway would be running at
minium headways, there could be 20 or more trains with 2500 passengers
apiece trapped. The logistics of an evacuation of that size are asounding.

 Maybe the best option would be to get 20 48class down into Sydney yard
and interpose a 48 class light engine between each electric train so that if
the power does go, the trains can be towed out ! :-)

 Or maybe attach dead a 48 class to the back of each emu at Central and
tow them DA or at idle through the loop (ie minimise the exhaust emissions)
and if disaster does strike, each 48 class would uncouple and run back to
the train behind couple and tow em out. With the amount of radio traffic
if such a plan had to be enacted would sort of preclude using the DEs to
power from the rear.

 Is year enough time to develop and test a 48class to EMU MU adapter. Drive
the 48 class from the EMU cab :-)