Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

In <379cde6a.0@newshost.pcug.org.au> "David Bennetts" <davibenn@pcug.org.au> writes:

>The NSW Transport Minister Carl Scully has announced that trains will stop
>at 11.45 pm on New Years eve and resume at 12.15 am in the city underground
>area, probably quite a sensible idea if one is not sure about the
>reliability of power supply and signalling, particularly with underground
>stations.   He's more confident than me that they will resume at 12.15, if
>there's a bug about it will take more than 15 minutes to find it and fix it.

I don't see why this has to occur. All Tangara trains are already y2k-ok (I
know - I've tested a few myself). Somehow I think there will be a very large
complaint if Mr Scully (who does not have any clue when it comes to rail
operations) does issue a directive to stop running trains around the City
Circle for that critical half hour when everyone wants to be there.

If the train describer in Sydne signal box is not already y2k-complient,
then it just shows that the people who control the operation of that (and
related system) have not cared about the y2k issue. Shutting things down for
half an hour is *not* going to solve anything, and indeed if systems are
closed down over the period betweek 2345 and 0015, how on earth is anyone
going to actually be able to see if there are problems? 8-)

>Meanwhile I guess Geoff Kennett's privatised Hillside and Bayside will be
>compliant, Melbourne's system seems to have had enough bugs recently to
>disrupt  the service without Y2K.  Don't worry Melbournians, I heard that
>they have invested in a couple of cans of Mortein to spray around the
>computer room on New Years Eve, so you should be all right on the night.

8-)

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport